Saturday, December 10, 2011

Why can't we all hold hands in Savasana?

It was in Savasana last week when I found the intention I had been seeking and knowing, yet dismissing.  I led the class through a powerful vinyasa focusing the intention on the beauty of simplicity and the importance of releasing old baggage, most importantly the baggage we "think" we need.  With each hip opener, I reminded the class it was all for a good cause.  By the end of the class, exhaustion set in and Savasana could not have come at a more perfect time.  When I had first set my intention for the week, it had been to purify, cleanse and start new, beginning with my bedroom.  However it was in Savasana when a couple in the back row of my class were holding hands while they lay separate, yet together in the pose. They showed me what my true intention was the whole time, compassion for myself and others.  It was time to confront it and embrace it with open arms.  I've been both scared and scarred by the process of opening. After spending so many years trying to achieve my independence as a strong woman, I have come to realize that it takes compassion and love to be a strong independent woman.  For some deranged reason I always saw softness of  the heart to be viewed completely separate from strength.  Society paired with the eccentricity of the mind can warp views such as mine.  In fact, softness and strength actually compliment each other perfectly. Helping others has always been something I enjoy doing, however the emphasis to help myself to be receptive of love has been a struggle.  Boundaries and barriers were easily made after my first heart break, but doesn't everyone have their story?  Yes, every one does have their heartbreaking story, but it's time to recognize mine.  I love to push away my problems, viewing them as minuscule in relation to the rest of society.  I am sure that in many cases my issues regarding compassion and love are minuscule, however disregarding them only creates more unnecessary veils surrounding my soft heart.  It's time to begin to gently remove the veils so I can once again feel the lightness of my heart.  Begin to laugh, to smile, and most importantly allow compassion for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment